Monday 4 August 2014

Discovering Vama Veche - or how to challenge your perception of yourself


I'm not the most 'sauvage' of people, nor am I the lowest maintenance. If you haven't guessed already, I feel myself in white dresses, art galleries and country homes and wouldn't say no to an avocado and chia seed smoothie, organic bananas off course!

This might explain my reticence towards going to Vama Veche for my best friend's birthday. I mean, not going wasn't an option but feeling alienated was definitely in the cards. For my non Romanian readers, Vama Veche is a bohemian resort, where people camp, bring one t-shirt and maybe no shoes, drink their brains off and pass out next to camping fires on the beach.


Some aspects from the aforementioned list actually sound inviting (if my parents ask, it's not the alcohol) but some I just can't get my mind round. Like shared showers. With people in tents. Yuck.

Luckily for us, we found lodgings in a house quite close to the beach with non-stop warm water and individual showers (hurrah!). To be fair though, the only thing I actually cared about was the bed where pass out sessions at 8 am had to be carried.

Fast forward four days and I look quite the hippie. Wavy beach hair up in a bun, flowers in my hair and a coloured braid, loose dress worn more than once (such a shock) and barefoot. Not caring about any earthy possessions since I have none on me and not caring what people think. The latter was quite an achievement and a refreshing break from constantly putting on a full face of makeup when I go out and taking so much pleasure out of new outfits each day.

Since I've arrived, I discovered I can be nonchalant and worry less to not at all. And why would I when everyone in Vama Veche comes to have a good time and be foolish rather than facebook tag their every move, hairstyle and trendy pressed juices by the beach. I've had sea water and algae flood my suede tennis shoes, I've seen naked men pee in the sea at sunset, I've danced like a crazy absinth drinker pill-popping druggie on the main street and I've seen a shooting star. I've done more for myself in these four days than I thought I'd achieve this whole summer and for that I say ... I might actually camp in Vama Veche next year.




The birthday girl! ^.^

'La Papa Bun' - best crepes ever, with salty cheese, jam, vanilla creme, meringues etc etc 

Stuf beach and totem around which everyone dances



La Stuf beach watching the sunset whilst Bolero plays...such a beautiful moment and an unforgettable memory



Folk You! festival
Trying to set up a lantern 

La Pescaria lui Matei - catfish and grilled vegetables




3 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures! Looks that you have a lot of fun :)

    New post on my blog and it'll mean the world to me if you check it out. I always follow back :)
    http://mathildasbeautylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Very jealous

    firsttimetraveler2012.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete



blogger template by lovebird